The Queen City Brass Band was started in June, 2000 by Dennis Weist and Phil Berg. Dennis was a band director in the separate school system in Regina. Phil had played for years in the Saskatoon Concert Band and the Saskatoon Brass Band before moving to Regina.
In June, 2000, Dennis and Phil held a meeting with another band director named Bob Latimer. Bob had directed brass bands in Scotland before immigrating to Canada in the 1960s, and directing bands in Melfort-Tisdale, and then North Battleford. Bob was now retired and living in Regina.
Our Mission Statement
The Queen City Brass Band of Regina, Saskatchewan, provides a musical experience in the unique British tradition of music making – the British-style Brass Band – an ensemble consisting of 25 amateur and professional musicians. The instrumentation is comprised exclusively of brass instruments constructed from British traditions of manufacturing and design, in addition to an interpretative performance style that is also derived from historical traditions of the United Kingdom.
The Queen City Brass Band aspires to:
- Provide the music community of Regina with a quality instrumental ensemble.
- Provide challenging performance opportunities for adult musicians of all ages.
- Provide opportunities for qualified young musicians to enrich their musical education by playing in an adult ensemble.
- Stress the importance of music as an integral part of the community culture and to actively pursue better integration and heightened awareness of the arts.
- Interact in a cooperative spirit with all cultural organizations in the community.
- Cooperate with the local schools and community organizations in planning all activities.
We are accomplishing these goals by:
- Performing a wide range of quality music at a high level.
- Presenting frequent concerts.
- Participating in festivals and other events.
- Welcoming new committed players into the band of all ages and skill level.
It is our solemn promise to give you the most value for your entertainment dollar. At each concert we will attempt to spread the awareness of British-style Brass Band music throughout the community. We sincerely hope you will enjoy our musical performances and encourage you to inform others as well. The goal of Queen City Brass Band is to consistently be a strong contributor to the musical communities of Regina, Saskatchewan, and Western Canada. Our main objective is to entertain in a professional and courteous manner. This is our pledge to you!